Ancient Sumerian Tale of Gilgamesh
The stubborn, hard king Gilgamesh sought to ask the Immortal One the secret of life. He was told that there would be stones on his path to guide him.
But in his urgency and and pride, Gilgamesh was annoyed to find his path blocked, and so smashed the very stones that would have helped him. In his blindness of heart, he broke everything he needed to discover his way.
We too, in the same confusion, break what we need, push away those we love, and isolate ourselves when we need to be held most.
Mark Nepo is a poet and spiritual adviser who has taught in the fields of poetry and spirituality for over 35 years. He is a cancer survivor. In his 30s he was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma, a struggle which helped to form his philosophy of experiencing life fully while staying in relationship to an unknowable future.
Nepo has a doctorate in English. He taught for 18 years at the State University of New York in Albany, New York.
Nepo is best known for his New York Times #1 bestseller, The Book of Awakening.
Books written by Mark Nepo include:
- Finding Inner Courage
- More Together Than Alone: Discovering the Power and Spirit of Community in Our Lives and in the World
- The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have
- The Endless Practice: Becoming Who You Were Born to Be
- The One Life We’re Given: Finding the Wisdom That Waits in Your Heart
- The Way Under the Way: The Place of True Meeting
- Things That Join the Sea and the Sky: Field Notes on Living
On the One Life We’re Given – Mark Nepo